RYLEE’S NURSERY ROOM

Alas! The long awaited nursery photos!  Sorry these took me so long to post, but I FINALLY got around to editing them….3 months later!  Rylee’s nursery was certainly a labor of love for Sam and I.  This room used to be our “guest room”  which consisted of only a full size bed and bare white walls.  We never did get around to decorating it because we always knew it would one day be turned into this….our first nursery.  We live in a humble, 3 bedroom town home just minutes from the ocean in Encinitas.  We did not have a lot of square footage to work with when dreaming up Rylee’s room.  Working with a small space posed it’s challenges, but it also made it easier for me to piece together and coordinate.  We began by ripping out the carpet and installing wood floor, thanks to the handiwork of my husband!  He pretty much let me do whatever I wanted, without breaking the bank that is.  We painted the walls a very soft grey (Glidden’s “Smooth Stone”), removed the closet for more space, and installed white baseboard to match the ceiling.  Those changes alone opened up and transformed the room and really allowed me to get a vision for what I wanted to create.

I have always had this obsession with peach (not really a TRUE peach, more of a muted peachy pink color).  I used it in my wedding and when I found out I was having a baby girl, I was selfishly excited (for many reasons) but also because I knew I could use this color in her nursery.  My idea for the room was to create a calming dreamy space….infused with vintage finds, sweet little animals, and handmade details. I stuck with a very soft color palate of ivory, grey, taupe, and peach.  The reason we decided grey for the walls was in case our next baby is a boy and we are still living in this home (which I imagine we will be)  In that case, I will have to split the tiny room half in ships (this wallpaper please), half in bunny rabbits….because I certainly don’t plan on giving up my office!  Haha…I am only kidding, but these are the things I think about!!  Anyway, I digress.  If you know me at all, you know I am an ETSY fiend.  And  the details in this room are almost entirely products of Etsy.  While I was pregnant, I was on there nearly every day searching high and low for the perfect little accessories to add to this room.  Can you say obsessed? Yes, I admit I undoubtedly was.  There are links below to where you can find almost everything you see.

THE CRIB

When I first started thinking about the nursery, I thought the big portion of my budget would be spent on the crib and changer.  I loved the look of the vintage inspired iron cribs but also liked the clean lines and simplicity of the more modern cribs like the Oeuf Sparrow.  Problem was that I couldn’t afford the asking price on most of the styles I liked. I was pretty torn on what to buy, until I spotted THIS crib on craigslist for $25.00!! Yes, I wrote that correctly.  It was love at first site!  I called the guy immediately and picked it up that same day.  Apparently it was one of those “storage wars” stories where the guy bought out a repossessed storage unit and re-sold all the things inside.   This crib was last to go and he did not see the value in it (lucky for me!!)  It was perfect!!! Sam reinforced the bolts, repainted it, and sanded the edges to still give it that vintage distressed look.  It’s dimensions are a little smaller than your standard crib size, so I had to order a custom sized mattress to fit.  A little price to pay in the grand scheme of things.  With the money I saved on the crib, I was able to order my dream crib bedding, the Matteo Tat Crib Set in greige.

For Rylee’s Shower,  my mom bought a few of these POM’S to add as decoration for the party.  I loved them so much I wanted to re-use some of them somehow in her nursery.  I decided to create a sort of paper cloud above her crib.  I didn’t have all the colors I wanted, so I looked up a tutorial on how to create them (I watched THIS ONE) and made a few of my own using my colors of choice.  It was easier than I thought…just a little time consuming.  I tacked them to the ceiling using clear thread and pushpins.  And although flag buntings are widely over used in baby rooms these days, I can’t help but still love them.  I would put buntings all over my house if I could.  I found the perfect quilt bunting at etsy shop Pieces of Olde.  Above it I hung a custom made crocheted garland with Rylee’s name on it….which I got from Re Rae’s Shop.  The large wooden letter “R”  hanging above the small dresser is from Grace Graffiti.  And that small dresser you see was on clearance at Home Goods!  It was an awful pea green color that we just sanded down and refinished using the same paint that we used on the crib.  It’s perfect to store Rylee’s hats and headbands, socks, tights and pajamas.

THE CHANGER

After the crib purchase I totally re-thought my plan for the room.  Since my crib was vintage, I also wanted some sort of antique changing table (or dresser turned changing table that is).  After scouring again on craigslist and finding nothing, we headed down to the Ocean Beach Antique District.  It was a fun day of sifting through old garb, but it wasn’t until our last stop at Vignette’s Antiques that I found the piece I was looking for.  It’s french styling, rounded legs, and scalloped bottom matched perfectly to other mini dresser I bought at Home Goods.  I measured the height and to my surprise it was 40″, pretty standard to most changing tables on the market.  And bonus, the price was right. Done deal.  Again, we repainted  the original soft pink color to the same ivory that we used on the crib and accent dresser, and swapped out the hardware.  All my major furniture pieces were bought at under $250!!  That never happens!

The peach cloud  mobile I found at The Butter Flying.  It’s one of my favorite pieces in the nursery.

The Sleep Sheep is from Pottery Barn.  (what a life saver that thing is!)

The white floor lamp was another repainted steal from Home Goods.

And the “Mama Bear. Baby Bear ” painting is one of my own.  Soon to be available as a print in my shop!

THE DECOR

I’ve been collecting these embroidery hoops over the last two years.  I never was quite sure what I wanted to do with them….until Rylee’s room came to be.  There is something child like and playful with all of them displayed in a cluster.   After I delivered Rylee, I ordered a special mini one from  a.e wilder with her birth date of August 19th stamped on. I added the little fawn clock from DECOYLAB to the mix too.  I always knew I wanted to use one of their many animal clocks for her room….and when I saw they came out with the fawn…I was sold!  Underneath the  embroidery hoops I hung Rylee’s favorite jumper (sorry, MY favorite jumper from Janie & Jack!) on a padded baby hanger I got from Out of the Closet Hangers.

Other hoops were purchased from :  pilli pilli / love, maude / you are with me / Lee Lee’s Closet

THE ROCKER

Ok….the splurge.  This was it.  I spotted this beauty on pinterest one day and tracked down the model:  Nurseryworks Empire Rocker.  It is aaaamazing, and probably my best investment.  Many nights have been spent rocking baby (and mom) to sleep on this thing.  The peach butterflies coming out from the window on the wall were from etsy shop Bug’s Loft.  And the burlap foot stool was a local vintage find.  I was convinced by a few people to buy blackout curtains versus regular (for obvious reasons). The grey blackout curtains I decided on were from Overstock.  They matched pretty well with the doily rug I got from Anthro.  Thank you Bam for so kindly displaying it for us below.  Haha.  I love that guy.

THE WARDROBE

Last but not least!  A girl needs a space for clothes!  Since we ripped out the closet (which now houses the crib) we needed to figure out how we were going to store and hang her clothes.  I didn’t need a lot of space since her clothes are so tiny….but I did need SOMETHING.  There was an awkward notch in the wall that served purpose when there once was a closet there….but now that that was gone, it just looked like a room divider that was not meant to be there. In comes smart husband with a brilliant idea.  He took that nook and built a mini closet.  Installing two bars for hanging, and three shelves for storage.  It’s pretty hidden from the rest of the room, so I didn’t think it was necessary to have some sort of drape to hide it.  In fact, I kind of liked the idea of leaving it open and hanging her cutest dresses and blouses there.  (I had already started quite the collection!)  The rest of the clothes I wanted “hidden”, I just put in her dresser.  I bought some cute wicker baskets for the bottom shelves that I use to store miscellaneous baby stuff that accumulates.  I realize now that there is a lot of that!

Ok…there you have it!  Hopefully I haven’t missed any “where to buy” links.  If I did, feel free to email me!  I like to think that Rylee loves her room.  But let’s be honest, it really was just more for me to love….right now at least.  Maybe one day she will see it and appreciate it as I do.  Sigh…one day!  Right now, she really just loves her bunny, and that’s ok by me.

Nursery photos by Sarah Shreves

1. Carly

I loved getting an inside peak at how this gorgeous space came together! I especially appreciate all of the links re: where to purchase the details.

I haven’t bothered to decorate our guest bedroom either – no use in doing it twice!

2. Brooklyn Lindsey

lovely. i love how you collect ideas and store them away. i did this for four years creating my shabby french youth ministry office and it’s finally coming together. the most beautiful part of the room….rylee herself. what a doll Kelli!

3. Tori

This has got to be the most beautiful nursery that I have ever seen! I love the peach, it’s my favourite colour too :)

4. Liz

Um, can I move in?! Once Rylee gets older she’ll need an actual bed, and bunk beds sound great to me ;) Srsly though, cutest nursery EVER.

5. Meli

I adore….I mean – really pink puffy heart love – this nursery!!!! Everything about it. So perfect. As is Rylee.

6. Krystel

OH my goodness, sooooo cute! I am going to pin this right NOW :) Love everything about it, my favorite part is the little closet, so incredible! Love all of the details! AMAZING JOB!

7. Jen Cairel

Oooh Kelli…WOW. I don’t even know where to start. I’m not exaggerating when I say this is the most beautifully done nursery I’ve EVER seen. I simply LOVE the muted colors & well.. everything about it. The big R? Love. The changing table? Love. The embroidery hoops & butterflies? Love! The ‘cloud’ above her crib? LOOOOOOOVE! I’ll say it again: WOW.

And thanks for the links. I’m not preggers yet but someday I’ll probably be back visiting this post! :o)

Happy belated Thanksgiving to you & your lovely fam!

8. Vico

te re pasaste , el cuarto es precioso, simple y confortable. Lo escribo en español porque tengo mucha paja para traducirlo.

9. kelly ann

Prettiest nursery I’ve ever seen! I love the colours you chose and all of the sweet details. It’s perfect. And I know a few people who have that chair and it’s AMAZING – I don’t have a baby, but I totally want it. ;)

10. Vivian

Oh.My.Goodness Kelli! Can I just say the I am jealous of Rylee’s room? Eek – it’s sooo pretty, feminine and sweet – like you both! Ahh… if you could tell by my pinning today – my baby bug is starting to grow. And even if I said I didn’t care if I have a boy or girl in the future, how can you not want a sweet girl with all the cute things which go with them?! *swooning over your nursery*

xx Vivian @

11. Christoff Dippenaar

Pragtig!!!! Mense met styl, goeie smaak, kreatiwiteit en baie liefde! Well done. Geniet haar sy is pragtig!!!!!

12. Ilana

This is such an incredible place for Rylee, I am actually a bit jealous as it looks way nicer than my room! ;) So many visual treats, I will definitely be bookmarking quite a few of those links for when babies start coming our way in the future too!

x

13. Laura

Beautiful nursery!! Can you tell me what shade of grey paint and brand you used on the walls? I love it! Thank you! :)

14. Ren

Beautiful job on the nursery Kelli! And that baby– You & Sam sure know how to make a cute kid.
    I apologize if you already posted this, but can you please share where you got the white floor lamp?

15. Lindsay

I’m blown away at how beautiful everything is! Sooo dreamy! You did a wonderful job…one day I’ll be using these images for my own inspiration. :) The mobile above the changing table is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.

16. Kirsty

Yes, please post the name and brand I the paint couloir! It’s always the first thing I want to know, but so often overlooked on room descriptions

17. Julia

It’s totally transformed Kelli! You have a gift and tell Sam, good work and labor of love.

18. cathryn

Wow Kelli! You keep out doing yourself!! Your little girl is going to grow up with such good taste!

The room looks like a little Haven, where you can just and relax and just be a mum with your little one! I hope that when me & my fiance start having a family, that their nursery will be just as lovely! If not I will be flying you over the UK & putting a paint brush in your hand!

19. Brandi Lisenbe

omg! you have outdone yourself!!! Geee that room is so pretty and CLEAN. i love it! You should do a post on your room too! After seeing the baby room I am curious to see yours! Lovely!!!!
    xo
    B

20. liz @ bon temps beignet

Kelli! I can’t believe I didn’t mention the source of inspiration for my cloud mobile how-to! I’m kicking myself for it, cuz I totally HATE when people don’t mention the sources for their ideas/designs when the final product is nearly identical to someone else’s work. I re-wrote the post with a who, what, and where I got the idea from with links to you, your nursery, and The Butter Flying’s shop. My appologies!!!!

21. hilary

What a stunning little haven! So pretty and calming. I was wondering about your grey curtains? They are the perfect shade I’ve been searching for. Thanks!

22. Jenna T

So calming and pretty on the eyes too! Where did you get your cute white polka dotted change pad? looks so comfy!

23. Christine

Thanks, in general, for the nudge towards Home Goods! Maybe I should only go in there with cash to spend and leave my cards at home. That way, I’ll have a definite limit…

24. Melissa

I love how you created a calm dreamy space for your little girl.
    You did a wonderful job. I am sharing this on my blog, hope you don’t mind. My daughter is having a baby girl in June and I love the inspiration you have shared.

~Mel
    craftymeldesigns.blogspot.com

25. Christina

What kind of paint did you use on the crib and other furniture? I love this nursery!

26. Ema

OMG – I adore this whole post! Thank you kindly for sharing it.
    Even ‘the Bam cat’ match perfectly in to the room theme with his shades of grey, brown and smokey blue eyes…amazing! Rylee is a cutie pie!

27. Diana Duran

like i have said before, this is awesome, i will be visiting your blog whenerver i have a baby or wedding or babyshower…your ideas are great! thank you for sharing them :)

28. Autumn

Hi Kelli! I am loving your crib and chest!! I purchased a cute little hello deer recently and have to get the others in your store! I’m
    Just now seeing your nursery and was wondering the color used on the chest of drawers and crib. And the finish as well- I just bought a great chest and want to paint it! Would love it if you replied! Thank you so much !

29. Mandi

Hi Kelli-

Absolutely beautiful! I love the colors you have chosen!

Where did you find the double curtain rods and inner sheer curtains?

Thanks so much for your blog! Just wonderful

Hi Mandi! The double curtain rods I found at Bed Bath & Beyond, and the lace inner curtains were from Urban Outfitters….although I don’t think they are for sale any longer…

30. mary

Hi Kelli,
    Love this room. I’m in the market for a great grey for my soon-to-be son’s nursery! :) I’m looking for a nice soft, classic grey. I love the color that you chose but if you don’t mind…does that grey lend it self to brown or pink or is is pretty true to grey? It is a hard color to find without too much tinting. Thank you and once again, beautiful room! Thanks for sharing.

i would say it is pretty true to grey Mary. It is so very subtle…that I think it would lend itself to any color really.

31. annie

Hello! Beautiful space. Maybe a silly question, but would you min sharing where her beautiful clothes are from? I am expecting and am not a fan of the bright, bold colors and would love to find clothes in similar shades for my guy/girl. thanks in advance!

32. Sarah

What a beautiful nursery! I know this is sort of a silly question but where did you get the tissue paper from? I tried to make my own but the paper I had was way too thing and tore a lot.
    Thank you!

Some of the unique colored poms I bought off etsy…and the ones I made, white, cream, light pink…I just bought from Michaels. It wasn’t a nice kind I just had to be gentle making them. Good luck!

33. Jessica

Hi Kelli, I just love the nursery. Can you tell me what color you painted the crib and dresser? Thanks so much.

34. Samantha

Can you please tell me where you purchased the fur pillow on the chair please? Thank you :)

35. Mellisa Mendoza

Hi Kelli! Absolutely love everything about your beautiful nursery! Do you recall the name & brand of the paint color for the walls? Looking for the perfect gray for my daughter’s room! Thanks!

36. Modern Furnishings

I’ll right away clutch your rss as I can not in finding your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly let me understand so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

37. Dana

Hi Kelli!
    I absolutely LOVE your baby room! Does the link for the curtains take me to the exact curtains you used? I ordered them and they look more blue than grey, so I wasn’t sure if I ordered the wrong ones.

Thanks!

38. Amy

Hi! I love this room – I just made the pom poms but was wondering how you put them together and hung them? Thanks!!

39. Mexico vs USA Live Stream

That is very attention-grabbing, You’re an overly professional blogger. I have joined your rss feed and stay up for in quest of extra of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks

40. Dorothea

You can get them something worth large sums of money
    and still end up not giving the proper gift. Candy – Candy is one from the most popular Valentine’s Day gifts. The batteries about the Kindle DX can last approximately two weeks on one full charge.

41. Justine

hey there and thank you for your information – I’ve certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this site, since I experienced to reload the website many times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon.