DIY // WATERCOLOR PAPER FLOWERS

I’m so excited to share this DIY with you today!  But first, I want to introduce to you my friend Nicole from Bloem Hill, part owner of an amazing floral and design company based  in Southern California.  Nicole and I have partnered up to bring you a fresh new DIY project once a month, and I can’t be more excited about it.  If you are anything like me, you need someone to challenge you in your craft endeavor’s, and Nicole’s my girl!  Be sure to stop by her blog to say hello.  She is incredibly talented.

Naturally, we are kicking off our DIY series with florals!  But even better, florals that will never die! (my kind of flowers!)  We decided to put our own spin on a paper flower with an organic, natural and painterly feel.   It took a bit of trial and error, but we love what we came up with!

First, you will need a pair of scissors and some paper.  We used this natural fine paper from Paper Source.  Cut about 10-12 rectangular pieces roughly 4″ X 2.5″  in size (larger for  a larger flower, smaller for a smaller flower).  You could then use your scissors to cut them all into the shape of petals, but we preferred tearing the paper by hand so that the edges were left rough and slightly frayed.  They all don’t have to be perfect.  In fact, having them irregular looks even better in the end.  After you are done shaping your petals, you’ll want to paint them.  We used Winsor & Newton watercolors in mustard, peach and grey.  But use whatever color palette is inspiring to you! This is the part that allows you to get creative.  Mix your paint with water and start painting your petals.  I would suggest making the bottom portion of the petal darker, and then fading up to a lighter shade at the ends.  Let the petals dry.

Next you will need some rustic floral wire and some pliers.   The wire will serve as your stem, so cut it to the length you desire.  To create your flower, take the petals (they should be fully dry at this point) and begin wrapping them around the top of your stem using floral tape (not pictured) to secure them.  We did 2 petals at a time.  After you have attached all of your petals and your flower is full, it will need a “center” to cover up the exposed wire in the middle.  We just twisted solid black paper into a small ball and used a glue gun to attached it to the center.  We also added touches of black paint along the edges of our petals to give them a little definition.

A fun trick for adding a little extra sparkle to the center of your flower :

Cut a strip of metallic tissue paper and using shredding scissors, cut along the edge leaving at least a centimeter uncut. Roll it, metallic side facing in, around the top of your wire before you start attaching your petals.  This will leave you with a pretty little pom in the center when you are finished!

I hope you all love these as much as we do!  Let me know if you give it a try!

1. Aimee G

These are just gorgeous. And now I found what I am going to do this weekend! With spring around the corner I always want to fill my house with tons of flowers, so this is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

2. maddie

Wow. What a beautiful tutorial. I have a friend that is getting married soon and I’ve been sending her DIY’s constantly. You bet I’m going to send this to her.

3. Jen

Wow, what a simple, classy, idea. These are absolutely beautiful and perfect for the Spring weather that is sneaking up on us. Thanks for the idea.

4. KAIT

gorgeous! i love that these flowers will never die (the only sad part of displaying the real deal). thanks for sharing!

5. Nadine

Wow Kelly, these flowers are beautiful. Just the kind of thing I need to get springtime into my home. Not bothered anymore that the weather is playing crazy out there ;)

Thanks a lot!

Nadine

6. MonicaP

Stopping by from the post I saw on your from the Mod Cloth Blog and it’s great to find another SoCal blogger as I’m in San Diego.

Cheers,
    Monica

7. Jessica

Gorgeous! Also, where are those vases from? I’m in love with the whole look.

8. Kathy

I have a bunch of glass bottles lying around and I wanted something decorative to put in it but I hate the typical fake flowers. This is perfect! I have all of these things lying around. Actually not the wire but I’ll manage!

9. bike

Hi there, I discovered your site by means of Google whilst searching for a similar matter, your website got here up, it seems good. I’ve bookmarked to favourites|added to bookmarks.

10. Kylie

yeah, i’d like to see how you got the petals on with the floral tape.
    let’s just say i’ve been trying with 3 petals for about 2 hours and it doesn’t work. only one stays on. the others slip right out of the tape.

hmm. maybe bad floral tape Kylie? When you stretch it, it becomes sticky. Group together the two petals and wrap the floral tape around the base, attaching to the stem. I guess I already explained this….haha. I hope you can get it to work!

11. Kylie

No it’s definitely sticky. Idk it’s very frustrating but hopefully i’ll figure something out. thanks!

12. Petra Moolman

Hi there
    Thanks for sharing this with us. Definitely going to give it a try!!

13. Ana Bardelas

Thanks for sharing, love the DIY – and the vases! Where are those from?

14. GH

Do check out the DIY paper flower project on this blog :)
    This post inspires me to experiment with more such projects.

15. Grace Mendez (@gracemndz)

Thanks for the tutorial. I didn’t have any floral wire or floral tape so I used Beacon 3-in-1 glue and a bamboo skewer. It worked great. Before tearing up the paper I wrote on both sides of my paper with a watercolor pencil and smeared my writing with water.

16. Lynette Piercey

I can hardly wait to try and make these. They are so beautiful! Hope I can do as great a job as you.

17. Ayesha

Lovely idea!!! They look so pretty and would make a terrific statement piece. I love the stands, could you tell me what they are called and where you got them at?

18. Jay

The possibilities are endless with these, they could become a great colour or complimentary accent for any room. You’ve inspired me and I’m going to paint myself some poppies.

19. Susannah

Oh my gosh, I’ve been looking at these flowers thinking it was a painting , and then scrolled down to find the ‘how to’ section! Wow, so realistic and just gorgeous!

20. jet

woooow this is sooooo beautiful and pretty and gorgeous.
    really really this is sooooo lovley.
    thank you for the sharing and the tute, you’ve made me smile;-D

21. Teri

Thank you for this tutorial! I found it on Pinterest. I made a BUNCH of these with citron and peach colored 12″x12″ scrapbook paper for my daughter’s wedding in October… I just painted a whole strip of 12″x4″ paper, allowed it to dry a bit, then tore the petals and shaped the flowers. They came out so nice! They took a while to make, but inexpensive and elegant.