I am so inconsistent lately. My “Currently’s” usually fall on a friday but we’re mixing it up over here! Unintentionally.
Can you believe it’s OCTOBER!!? What happened to September? I think we may have skipped that month. But i’m ok with time traveling at lightening speed, for now at least, because that means we are inching closer to Fall here in San Diego. Technically, it already is Fall….but when it’s still too hot for boots….we are not allowed to call it “Fall” yet. That’s my rule.
- I’ve been doing a lot of birthday invitations lately. Kind of totally loving it. Still dreaming about starting up an invitation line sometime in the new year. That will forever be on my “to-do” list in the back of my mind until I actually accomplish it. Better get moving.
- I love it that there are pumpkins everywhere we go. Who need’s a pumpkin patch when they have one at the entrance of nearly every grocery store?
- SUCCULENTS! Need I say more? My favorite plant ever, mostly because it’s the only kind I can keep alive. Working on some arrangements for my office.
- One of my all time favorite “moments” happened on Saturday. Rylee feel asleep on my shoulder! I know it probably sounds really silly, but if you know Rylee at all, you know she is the farthest thing from a cuddler. I used to try to “teach” her to snuggle, thinking she’d catch on one day. But, well, it’s just not Rylee. And I’ve surrendered to the fact that she just doesn’t crave all the hugs and kisses that I do. But then God gives me this moment….and I savored every second. I love this little girl more than life itself.
- These guys will most likely be responsible for at least one cavity this fall.
- Boots! I’ve already purchased two new pairs this season…these and these….and I am counting down the days until I can wear them without my feet sweating. Gah! I’m ready for you chill.
Also, not sure if any of you watch Oprah’s Next Chapter….but I’m obsessed. Hopefully, some of you got a chance to watch Sunday’s episode with Jason Russell from Invisible Children. While his story is heart breaking, it’s inspiring to see him come back from such a devastating event and continue on with the mission in which he has committed so much of his life. Talk about courage. IC’s new movie, MOVE, just released on Sunday. Watch it here.
1. Summer is coming to an end! Say it ain’t so! It’s been so warm though, you’d never know it. We had fun at the beach this weekend. Daddy showing Rylee that waves aren’t so scary after all.
2. Still not a big fan of the sand.
3. Chasing shadows is serious business.
4. Finally got around to trying my own iced coffee – this recipe. I like it with nutmeg.
5. My best friend came down from LA to spend the day with Rylee and I. Her little guy is just two months younger than Ry. The cutest duo ever. Co-ed bath time was pretty hilarious.
6. I created a new “honey-bee” version of my baby shower invitations for a shower Elsie was throwing for her sister in law. You can see all the party details over on her blog. Too cute…and such a great theme, right!? You can order these invites on my etsy.
7. On a bit of a washi kick lately. Got these from Pretty Tape.
8. I’ve been super busy with a portrait project I am working on….and totally loving it. I’ll be able to share it with you later this month. Testing my illustration skills with more realistic drawings!
9. I’ve been getting quite a few emails lately asking about what my fitness program is. Truth be told, I don’t have one. I’ve always wanted to be disciplined exerciser…but just never had the motivation, or the time. I know everyone says that if you want something, you have to MAKE the time. And that’s a very true statement…I guess I just never wanted it bad enough. Until now that is. My post baby body just never quite got back to my pre-baby body (not that I should have expected it to without exercising). But not only that, I’m motivated to be stronger and healthier for the long haul, for my family and for myself. It’s something that’s always been really hard for me, but I want it more than ever. Sam and I just got memberships to the YMCA two weeks ago. A first for the both of us. We landed there primarily because they have child care and the facility is just minutes from our house. So far so good. I still hate the gym….but I am hoping as time goes on, I grow to maybe even enjoy it. I’m not there yet….I still go dragging my feet. But at least I’m there right!? haha. What helps to keep you motivated? And what are your favorite songs to workout to!? I am making a mix and I could use some suggestions!
10. We live for pool days! Maybe one day she will love the beach just as much.
And this photo right here just might be my favorite ever taken! haha. I laugh every time I look at it. Love her.
If you follow me on instagram, you have probably already seen all of these pics….so sorry for the repeat. But if you don’t, this is what’s been going on currently….
Sam and I went on a fun date to the Del Mar Fair a few days ago. I get all dorky excited when the Del Mar Fair rolls around each year, because #1 it means summer has arrived and #2 because it brings back memories of when Sam and I first met there 5 years ago. It’s kind of “our thing” now to go every year. Except for this time we totally forgot to do the absurdly overpriced photobooth. I’ve got one of those little strips for each year we’ve been together, but we missed it this year! All the more reason to go back I guess….and to get another funnel cake of course. I’d like to think I deserve one of those one (or twice) a year! haha.
Yesterday we celebrated my mom’s birthday. I didn’t share it here on my blog because it all went so quickly, but she just had surgery on her heart last week for a problem she has been dealing with for a few years now. We had no idea it was something that required surgery, but when she finally went in to see a heart specialist, he urged her to get the surgery as soon as she could. We are so thankful that everything went smoothly and she is on the road to recovery. They say her heart problem should be fully fixed now! So we are just praying that that is the case and that it is gone for good. I love my mom so much and can’t imagine life without her. Reality hits pretty hard when things like this happen and you realize the fragility of life….and the importance of making the most of every moment spent with the ones you love.
We leave next week for Wisconsin and I can’t be more excited! I bought Rylee that cute little Fourth of July number (the tiny bikini and hat in the pic above) for our week on the lake. Looking forward to a bit of R&R with family.
WATCHING: Oh I hate to admit it but after hearing a few girls talk about Make it or Break it…I just had to check it out. As hooked as I am to Prison Break, I can only watch it when Sam and I are together. If it were up to me, i’d probably be done with that series already, but because it’s our show, I had to find something else to distract me in the meantime. As painfully teen drama as it is….i’m hooked (and embarrassed). Fun fact is that I used to be a gymnast myself until about 12 when I fractured the growth plates in my heels and had to stop. Gymnastics definitely takes it’s toll! But I really did want to be an olympian! Squashed dream. So i’m rooting for these girls. ha.
EATING: Currently….cookies. BAD. But in the mornings I’ve been eating fruit instead of waffles. GOOD. So I guess it evens itself out. right? What are some of your favorite places to find good dinner recipes? I need some more go-to’s. Anything that you love that you keep in your weekly rotation?
WORKING ON: I just finished a big custom floral painting (there is a thumbnail of it in the last pic). I had so much fun doing it that I thought I’d throw it out there to anyone interested that i’d be happy to take on commissions. Your own colors and even flowers if you have something particular in mind. Just email me! I also just finished a handful of custom illustrations for a mag I love. More details on that to come.
This girl can do incredible things with a piece of chalk.
Well, I sure am glad instagram came into my life. I remember the day when I called my friends on my house phone and had to go on the computer to map quest directions to get to wherever we were meeting. (sorry if I offended anyone still using mapquest!) It’s nuts how far technology has come in just the last 10 years isn’t it? And it boggles my mind to think of what the future will be like and what will be the new “iphone” when Rylee is my age! Anyway, to be able to carry my phone, take pictures, and share it with the world all in a matter of minutes is really quite amazing. I feel like I’m still an iphone newby and getting used to taking photos so frequently, but I love that instagram reminds me to document my day. So many moments captured by this little phone in my pocket! My CURRENTLY posts have kind of turned into my instagram feed, but hey, I guess that’s what’s current right?
So Rylee and I just went to the doctor yesterday for her 9 month checkup. Sam and I tried to guess her weight before hand. I guessed 20 lbs and Sam guessed 18. We were both wrong. 15 pounds!! I was shocked. I mean, not entirely because I know she has always been on the smaller side…..but 15!! No wonder she is still wearing 3-6 month clothes. The doctor didn’t seem too concerned because she is still following along on her own “curve” so that made me feel a little better. She already eats so well but he suggested adding butter to her cereal and extra solids between her bottles. Do any of you momma’s out there have food suggestions/tips for beefing up baby!? (In the healthiest way of course!) I’ve got to do my research.
LOOKING FORWARD TO:
Fourth of July weekend in Wisconsin. Reuniting with Sam’s family, fireworks on the lake, and finally having all the baby cousins together. Sam’s two sisters and I all had babies within 3 months of each other, and they still have not all been together. I am really looking forward to it. (Sorry, I think I talk too much about Wisconsin). But it’s honestly what I’m looking forward to!
Prison Break. It’s our new netflix obsession. Last it was Breaking Bad. Have you guys seen that one? I love drama! haha. We are only like 10 episodes in on Prison Break but it is SOOO good. We never watch regular TV anymore (except for Bachelorette of course! But Sam refuses to watch that one with me) so we love finding shows on netflix that we both can get into. Is it sad that I look forward to him coming home so we can watch the next episode!? haha! It’s that good folks.
I finally took my paints off the shelves and started on a few new canvas pieces. It had been months! And I had forgotten how theraputic it is for me! Hopefully I will get a few new prints up in the SHOP soon. It is desperately in need of an update. I’m also working on a few new branding projects that I am excited about! In just the short time I have been fully “freelance”, I’ve realized I really enjoy taking on different projects with different inspirations and designing something that fully represents the client’s style and aesthetic. I would say it’s certainly more of a challenge for me artistically, but also very rewarding when it’s all said and done.
Ok, some honesty right here. Lately, I’ve been falling victim to the “comparison game”. And I hate it. Seeing so many people online (and in “real” life) taking on new exciting projects, traveling, growing their businesses, buying those shoes that there is no way I can afford. I feel like I used to get inspired, but all of a sudden I have found myself getting jealous! JEALOUS! And I hate that feeling so much. I want to be a person who is grateful for what I have. I want to always strive to work hard and be a good mom, wife and friend, and feel content and happy with the life that I have. Because it is a really really good one. But I’ve been struggling lately. I think a lot of these new feelings have to do with just not having as much time as I used to. Before I had Rylee, I was selfish with my time and I did what I wanted, when I wanted. Now, the time I devote for myself and my personal goals is just a fraction of what it used to be. But I need to be OK with not being able to “do it all”. Mostly, I WANT to be a good mom to Rylee, and while my other WANTS are still there, I need to be content with doing what I can, when I can…and not beat myself up about not being as successful or talented or balanced as someone else. If you’ve ever struggled with these feelings, how have you managed to combat them?
LINKS TO LOVE -
- Eva has an awesome feature on her blog called SPACES . I was suuuper inspired by her latest one featuring Emma’s workspace.
A lot has been going on here at the Larson household! Did you know I am a Larson? I guess I rarely say that here. After getting married, I was in a bit of a predicament trying to figure out if I change my website and shop to my new name or just keep my maiden name of Murray. Obviously, you know what I decided on…..but it still feels a little odd to me. I get all mixed up sometimes with my signitures because for checks or personal documents, I need to sign Kelli Larson, but for art prints I need to sign Murray. I can’t tell you how many checks I have had to rip up because I sign it with Murray! Ugh…the worst. Aaaanyway. This weekend was a ton of fun for Sam and I. His family, who all live in 4 different states, came out to visit. Sometime’s I don’t realize how lucky I am to have my whole family within driving distance from me. Sam’s twin sister, Hannah (in the 4th photo) has a baby boy, Jonah (5th photo) who is just 4 weeks younger than Rylee. Although sitting side by side you would never guess Rylee was the older of the two. Jonah kills her in the weight department. But then again, most babies her age do. I am still waiting for that growth spurt (hair included!) Anyway, it was the first time out little ones met each other so we had fun watching them get acquainted! Mainly, it was Rylee jabbering away and plowing over Jonah, poking his face and stealing his pacifier. Ha! She is ALL over the place right now. But Jonah just sat there like a gentleman and let the crazy girl go at it. I had no idea Rylee was such a social butterfly. But get her around a crowd of people and she is the bell of the ball. I’m not sure what I’m getting myself into with her! She is developing quite the personality, and is certainly more mobile than ever. Notice the crouching tiger pose in the first pic?….that is her favorite of the moment. And I worry every time about a face plant. It’s the only time in my life I have ever wished I had carpet. But she is getting stronger and stronger every day.
THINKING ABOUT – My mom. She left two weeks ago on a last minute trip to Wisconsin to help my grandmother care for my grandfather as his health continues to decline. She told me this morning that the hospice nurse that continues to check in on him said that it will be just days, if not minutes, before he passes. I cry every time I think about it….so I can’t imagine what my mom is going through just watching him slowly fade away. I will certainly miss my gramps. But soon he will be in heaven with his Savior, and with that thought, I am comforted. I am so thankful for my mom for her strength and unwavering love. She is one of the most selfless people I know, and I am sure it means everything to my grandmother to have her there by her side. My mom will still be away on mother’s day this Sunday, which makes me sad, but I am so glad she can be with her own mom, who needs her more than ever right now. I didn’t realize it until tonight when Sam said to me “Sunday is a special day for you” that I too get to celebrate mothers day this year! It’s amazing how much life can change in one year. One life ends just as another begins.
LISTENING TO – Down Like Silver. I kind of stalk Kelly Ann’s blog to find new inspiring music. I’m not great at keeping up with the music scene, so I rely on people like Kelly Ann to help me out! (thanks girl for your music monday’s). I discovered them about a month ago through this post and was instantly hooked.
WATCHING – Revenge. I’ve been watching it on hulu while I feed Rylee. It’s the perfect waste of time! haha. Have you seen it!!? It’s so addicting.
EATING - On the healthy side – spinach & arugula salad with dried cranberries, walnuts, and gorgonzola. One the very opposite side of healthy – Trader Joe’s Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzels. Killing me.
I believe in giving credit where credit is due. If you see any photos here without correct sources, please let me know and I will happily correct it. Likewise, if you wish to use any of my photos, I'd appreciate it if you properly credited back to my original post.