I am so inconsistent lately. My “Currently’s” usually fall on a friday but we’re mixing it up over here! Unintentionally.
Can you believe it’s OCTOBER!!? What happened to September? I think we may have skipped that month. But i’m ok with time traveling at lightening speed, for now at least, because that means we are inching closer to Fall here in San Diego. Technically, it already is Fall….but when it’s still too hot for boots….we are not allowed to call it “Fall” yet. That’s my rule.
– I’ve been doing a lot of birthday invitations lately. Kind of totally loving it. Still dreaming about starting up an invitation line sometime in the new year. That will forever be on my “to-do” list in the back of my mind until I actually accomplish it. Better get moving.
– I love it that there are pumpkins everywhere we go. Who need’s a pumpkin patch when they have one at the entrance of nearly every grocery store?
– SUCCULENTS! Need I say more? My favorite plant ever, mostly because it’s the only kind I can keep alive. Working on some arrangements for my office.
– One of my all time favorite “moments” happened on Saturday. Rylee feel asleep on my shoulder! I know it probably sounds really silly, but if you know Rylee at all, you know she is the farthest thing from a cuddler. I used to try to “teach” her to snuggle, thinking she’d catch on one day. But, well, it’s just not Rylee. And I’ve surrendered to the fact that she just doesn’t crave all the hugs and kisses that I do. But then God gives me this moment….and I savored every second. I love this little girl more than life itself.
– These guys will most likely be responsible for at least one cavity this fall.
– Boots! I’ve already purchased two new pairs this season…these and these….and I am counting down the days until I can wear them without my feet sweating. Gah! I’m ready for you chill.
Also, not sure if any of you watch Oprah’s Next Chapter….but I’m obsessed. Hopefully, some of you got a chance to watch Sunday’s episode with Jason Russell from Invisible Children. While his story is heart breaking, it’s inspiring to see him come back from such a devastating event and continue on with the mission in which he has committed so much of his life. Talk about courage. IC’s new movie, MOVE, just released on Sunday. Watch it here.
So a few days ago my computer decided to have a little hissy fit and break down on me just as I was getting caught up from my weekend away. (Hence the crickets over here this last week). With deadlines looming and hormones flying high….I couldn’t help but throw a little hissy fit myself. I mean, what is one to do without a computer these days!? Quite a reality check, to say the least. It’s amazing the importance I place on this piece of technology! Luckily, the fix was far easier than I imagined….but the last few days really opened my eyes to how attached I really am. If nothing else, it was a motivator to spend more time creating with my hands than staring at a computer screen. I remember a few years ago spending so much time in my garage, painting or drawing whatever I was inspired by. It was not for anyone, other than me. Now, those days are few and far between because I find myself focused on finishing commissioned projects that mostly rely on computer design programs. And while that’s ok….I do want to make an effort to get back to that place where I am away from the computer and creating art because I am inspired, not because I am hired. But that “hired” does equal money….and the “inspired”, not usually. So it’s a tough balance, but something I’ve been thinking about and hoping to change, even ever so slowly.
As I was going over some of the notes I jotted down during some of the talks at our design retreat last week, my favorite one read “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.” This was in reference to a session Kathleen led, where she suggested we take what we are currently doing, and cut it in half. So instead of dabbling here and there and everywhere (because we can!)…we should only take on the things that we are inspired by, that are an appropriate match, and that help further our creative careers. Being so fresh to the freelance world, it’s hard to think this way because I want to take on everything that comes my way….but the reality is, I am just one person and I can only do so much. A good lesson learned.
The picture above is the current state of my office. Literally, nothing is in it other than my computer, which is sitting on my drawing table. But I am on the hunt for a desk! Suggestions!? We just removed the popcorn ceiling (thank God) which required us to remove EVERYTHING. We are painting tomorrow and I am giddy over having a clean slate and finally creating an inspiring space to work in! Cheers to weekend projects!
…and possibly some more pool time with my girl before Fall really decides to show up.
This weekend was such a blast! I wasn’t sure what to expect meeting so many faces I only knew about through the internet. It’s kind of a weird thing to “know” someone online and then really get to “know” that person in real life. But most everyone was just as I imagined! It was so encouraging and inspiring to hear each others stories and learn from one another’s experiences. Get 20 + female designers together and there is A LOT to talk about! haha. Everyone was so open and willing to share! It really did feel like such a friendly collaborative community. I even managed to make it through four whole days without blubbering on about missing my baby…..the girls made it pretty easy for me! I love how the internet can bring us all together in this way! Thanks to Promise and Alyssa for coordinating this retreat! I am looking forward to doing it again next year, and seeing how this thing might grow!
You can see more pics from the trip on my instagram or through our hash tag #designlife2012
I believe in giving credit where credit is due. If you see any photos here without correct sources, please let me know and I will happily correct it. Likewise, if you wish to use any of my photos, I'd appreciate it if you properly credited back to my original post.